I was recently working with a lady who was really struggling with the idea of retiring from her job as Partner in a law firm. At 68 years young she wants to carry on working – and why couldn’t she?
She is incredibly successful, still bringing in clients, continuing to hit her financial targets, and she gets a huge amount of enjoyment and job satisfaction from her work, clients and team.
However, she was needing support to help her process and unpack her internal struggle about when and how to retire.
Her resistance to even considering the option of retirement was incredibly strong. Still wanting to do the job she loved, having not known anything else for her entire career, yet curious about engaging with other activities, experiences and relationships in her life.
She reached out to me, with the support of her firm, for a series of coaching sessions to explore what her retirement transition could look like.
These are the ten coaching questions I asked her. If you are feeling stuck and wrestling with the idea of life beyond your work, these may well be helpful for you too.
10 Coaching Questions
- Where is the opportunity here? Even if it feels full of resentment and upset?
- Instead of the word ‘retirement’, which words would resonate better for you?
- If you had the option of staying on at your firm, what would be different?
- If you could choose when you left the firm when would it be and why?
- What do you still want to achieve professionally and personally?
- How would you like to use your skills and expertise next?
- What do your colleagues, peers, family and friends most value about you?
- What keeps you working?
- What would make this transition easier for you?
- What do you need from the firm to support you?
If you, a friend, or a colleague are perhaps struggling with the whole idea of retirement – what it could look and feel like and how to figure out what’s next, why not work with a Certified Non-Financial Retirement Coach.
Find out more about my Retirement Transition Coaching programmes and services or book a free telephone consultation here to talk further about how I can help you.